The University of Chicago | Graduate Admissions

Funding & Aid
12 research institutes

The number of research institutes operated by the University of Chicago.

Funding & Aid

The University is committed to making education available to students of all economic backgrounds. We aid graduate and professional students through a wealth of funding opportunities and a team of supportive staff who can help you navigate the application process. The University of Chicago helps graduate and professional school students pay for their educations in a variety of ways—through direct funding and through facilitating student participation in federal loan programs. We work with students in all schools and divisions to accommodate their financial needs, and we heavily subsidize most doctoral students. Whether you are looking for teaching or research assistantships, paid employment, fellowships or grants, educational benefits for veterans, or other financial aid, we will guide you to the best resources for your needs and interests.

Funding by Degree Programs

For more information about specific funding for your degree program, please refer to the financial aid information pertinent to each division or professional school below. Note that UChicago offers most incoming doctoral students competitive funding packages, which cover tuition and student health insurance as well as including a stipend for living expenses and research support.


Graduate Student Affairs

Graduate Student Affairs (GSA) supports graduate and professional students by providing information and advice on funding opportunities and student resources available on campus. Students can find instructional videos, sample essays, and informational databases through this office. GSA also offers one-on-one counseling and assistance with applying for various fellowships.

  • Featured Fellowships – information on internal and external fellowship opportunities
  • Fellowship Databases – a robust listing of fellowship databases, including opportunities for students in specific fields, international students, and students of color

Office of Multicultural Student Affairs

The Office of Multicultural Student Affairs (OMSA) supports the academic success of students of color at the University of Chicago and works to build an inclusive campus community. OMSA hosts a database of fellowships available to underrepresented students and research here: OMSA Fellowship Database.

Loan Programs

Loan programs augment any other aid students have received from the University and from outside funding sources. Find details of all loan programs and application instructions on the Student Loan Administration website.

Federal Direct Loans

Currently, the Federal Direct Loan program consists of two types of loans:

  • Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the application required for this loan program. Graduate students may borrow up to $20,500 per academic year.
  • Federal Direct Graduate PLUS (GradPLUS) Loan – a credit-based loan. Students must complete the FAFSA and pass a credit check to apply. Students may borrow up to their cost of attendance, minus all other awards.

Federal Perkins Loan

The Federal Perkins Loan has a fixed interest rate of 5 percent. Interest does not accrue while the student is enrolled, and students receive a nine-month grace period after leaving school and before repayment begins. Graduate students may borrow up to $8,000 per year, depending on the availability of funds at the University of Chicago.

Award amounts and types are subject to change, based on programmatic changes in the Federal Student Aid programs.

Student Employment

During their time at UChicago, students can find a variety of employment opportunities that support their education without interfering with their studies. Several services help connect students to these opportunities or directly employ students as staff.

Veterans Educational Benefits

The University of Chicago welcomes veterans and their dependents to our community. University Veterans Services, through the Office of the Registrar, helps veteran students obtain educational benefits from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

The Post 9/11 GI Bill™

Commonly known as The Yellow Ribbon Program, this initiative provides funding for post-9/11 servicemen and women to attend the University, in partnership with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Funding availability through this program varies by school and division. Yellow Ribbon applicants must be admitted and have confirmed their intent to enroll into an academic program before submitting a Yellow Ribbon application to the University of Chicago, and acceptance in the program is on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Enrollment Certification

Veteran advisors in the Office of the Registrar assist veterans who need enrollment certification sent to the U.S. Department of Veterans Administration. Students requesting this service must fill out the Veterans Certification Request Form.