The number of research institutes operated by the University of Chicago
The University of Chicago’s diverse community provides the varying voices and perspectives essential to our mission of pursuing new knowledge. Our culture is enriched by the many different backgrounds of our students, faculty, staff, and alumni. Several offices and programs help foster this diversity at UChicago. Visit the University’s Diversity & Inclusion website to learn more about our commitment to diversity, including information for prospective and current students.
Diversity in Academics
Diversity in our academic programs supports our students of different backgrounds as well as students interested in the many cultures of the world. Our faculty members come from different career paths, disciplines, countries, and perspectives and are leaders, creators, healers, and explorers. A broad curriculum in our schools and divisions covers topics ranging from employment discrimination to global health.
In addition to learning about diversity, our students celebrate their own. On-campus programs work to build a community of support for students of varying backgrounds
- Academic Affinity Groups – Related to a specific program of study, these groups bring together students and resources for different populations.
- Research and Internships – Promote scholarship from students; several pipeline programs enable students to perform research with our faculty up to three years before applying to graduate school.
- Scholarships and Funding – Available to support students who are underrepresented in their fields.
Campus Visits for Summer Research Program Coordinators
The University of Chicago is happy to assist summer research program coordinators with planning a visit to our campus. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org four to six weeks prior to your planned visit to discuss your visit options. Requests submitted without ample time for planning may not be honored. We cannot coordinate or finance any costs related to your trip.
In your request, please provide the following details:
- Proposed date and arrival and departure time
- Coordinator contact information: Please provide the name, email address, and cell phone number of the individual(s) that will escort the students to campus.
- Student information: For planning purposes, please provide a spreadsheet detailing each student’s name, contact information, year in school, and area of interest
For more information about diverse scholarship at the University, explore Diversity & Inclusion in Academics.
The student experience extends beyond academics at the University. We offer many avenues to engage with peers outside the classroom. Student resources include diversity offices, services, and opportunities, as well as many cultural student groups.
Diversity Student Resource Sampling
- Office of Multicultural Student Affairs: Supports the academic success of students of color at the University of Chicago and works to build an inclusive campus community.
- Office of LGBTQ Student Life: Serves lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered, and questioning students and allies from across the University in order to create an inclusive and safe community, providing educational, social, and professional opportunities and resources.
- Spiritual Life Office: Connects students of every faith to resources on campus and in the community at large, including student groups, places of worship, and events.
- International House: Promotes cross-cultural understanding and mutual respect through programming and events, and it serves as a residence hall for students from around the world, including the United States.
- Student Disability Services: Facilitates the full participation of students with a disability in the life of the University.
- Bias Response Team: Consists of administrators who are available to support and guide students seeking assistance in determining how to handle a bias incident.
For a more comprehensive list, explore our Diversity & Inclusion Student Resources.